Louisiana Backyard Cajun Gumbo Mix
Warm up with Frontier Soups Louisiana Backyard Cajun Gumbo Mix. This Gumbo lets you fully experience the unique Cajun cuisine of Louisiana. It uses a dark smoky roux-base that is perfectly blended with the holy trinity of Cajun cooking (onions, bell pepper, celery). Enjoy this rustic Cajun Gumbo over rice and transport yourself to a backyard picnic overlooking the bayou.
- Nothing artificial - clearly made from ingredients you know
- No salt added so you can add salt to your taste
- Gluten free
- Cook time: 70 minutes
- Heat: mild
- Net weight 15 ounces
- Serves 8
- Made in USA
Ingredients: Rice, Onion, Bell Pepper, Celery, Paprika, Garlic, Thyme, Chipotle powder, Oregano, Bay leaf.
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp.oil
- 1 package smoked kielbasa sausage or andouille for more heat (13-16 oz.)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 1-2 chicken breasts (10 oz.)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth (64 oz.)
- Slice sausage link lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4" thick half circles. In a 4-quart pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté until browned and crispy, 5-10 minutes. Remove sausage to a cutting board to cool, leaving rendered fat. Add chicken thighs to pot and sauté 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to cutting board to cool. Reduce chicken to cutting board to cool. Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW.
- Making the 'roux', you'll need to stir CONTINUOUSLY for this step. In the same pot, add butter until melted then add flour. Deglazed pot (scrape bits from bottom) with a wooden spoon or whisk. Roux will thicken to a paste and then thin out after a couple minutes (keep stirring!). Around 5-8 minutes, roux will darken to a pale brown, keep stirring until it turns light brown or peanut butter color, about 10-12 minutes total. We like it around here, but you may continue until dark brown (up to 25 minutes). The longer it cooks the darker/thinner it gets and the nuttier/richer the flavor becomes.
- Add contents of the vegetable and seasoning packet and stir for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup broth and stir until mixed. Add the rest of the broth and increase heat to medium-high. Shred or dice cooled chicken and add to pot along with sausage. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- While soup simmers, place the rice in a 2-quart pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off heat, fluff rice with fork, and re-cover.
- To serve place 3/4 cup scoop of rice into each bowl. Ladle ~ 1 1/2 cups gumbo into same bowl and serve with crusty French bread.